Saturday 26 November 2011

Random Recipes/No Croutons Required - Leek & Potato Soup


This month, Dom from Belleau Kitchen and Jac from Tinned Tomatoes have teamed up for a joint challenge.


I sort of cheated a little bit, and only picked from my cookbooks that have "soup" in the title or that I definitely knew had a few soup recipes (because I have so many that don't involve soup at all). I ended up with Lindsay Bareham's A Celebration Of Soup, which I was rather pleased about as I've never even opened it - I acquired it as part of a set of books from the Book People, which I really only wanted for the Elizabeth David titles it contained.


Anyway, this is actually a lovely book. No pictures, but that's fine with me, and it contains a vast amount of recipes I actually want to make. Especially as I'm currently stuck in a mushroom soup rut and really need to break out of it. But I suppose that's what this challenge is about, right?

The random page I opened had a recipe for leek and potato soup, which strangely included bacon. As the challenge required a vegetarian soup and as I didn't actually have any bacon, I left it out, and ended up more or less ignoring the recipe and just going along with what I had and how I thought it should be done. Sorry Lindsay... but I promise I will cook one of your recipes very soon and actually follow your instructions.


Here's MY leek and potato soup recipe, in case you need something to warm you up during these winter evenings.

Ingredients:
2 big leeks, sliced
2 medium white onions, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, sliced or chopped
3 biggish spuds, peeled and quartered (I used Maris Pipers)
Marigold bouillon powder, or vegetable stock if you're feeling very keen
A kettle full of boiling water
Salt & pepper
Olive oil
Double cream

Pour a couple of tablespoons of olive oil into a cold saucepan (pick a good-sized one), add the onions, garlic and leeks, and cook over a medium/low heat for a few minutes until everything is softened and going translucent.

Add the spuds, and fill the saucepan up with boiling water from the kettle. Add two heaped teaspoons of bouillon powder (assuming you haven't made your own veggie stock). Simmer until the spuds are completely cooked and starting to fall apart.

I like my soup nice and thick!

Take off the heat and liquidise with a stick blender, food processor or whatever you have. Add a good slosh of double cream and liquidise again until it's all well mixed. Return to the heat and season with plenty of salt and pepper.

Eat with some buttered crusty bread for dipping in. Obviously.

Home made wholemeal bread - my favourite

5 comments:

  1. Lovely comfort soup Aveen and rather gorgeous bread too. You just can't beat homemade soup and bread served together. Perfect! Thanks for entering it into this month's no croutons required.

    ReplyDelete
  2. do you know what I think leek and potato is my all time favourite soup, it's just so comforting and tasty... and that bread looks amazing too... sometimes in the summer I substitute a leek for a stick or two of lemongrass and it is triumphant!... thanks so much for taking part x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great classic soup and your version looks really good. I've got the Celebration of Soup book too and, although I can't say I love everything in it, it does have some fine recipes. I made a cashew nut and broccoli soup from it a few months ago, which was particularly pleasing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. came voer from dom's! a great classic recipe, so comforting and simple bt still tasty! I've tried doing thiings a bit differently before, like roasting the leek beforehand! really yum either way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy recipes!

    You should also try soups from : http://crea8ivefood.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...