Sunday 25 September 2011

We Should Cocoa - Happy Birthday!

Chele is hosting this month, and it's also We Should Cocoa's First Birthday! So very appropriately she chose the theme of "a chocolate masterpiece fit for a first birthday party".



Now when I was a kid, my birthday parties were fantastic, because my mum put so much effort into them. But I never had a chocolate birthday cake - back then birthday cakes were always plain sponge cakes in the shape of your age, covered in white buttercream with pink piping for girls and blue piping for boys, and crushed nuts round the sides. EVERYONE had a birthday cake just like that, and I absolutely hated them.

However what I did have at my birthday party every year, and what I absolutely adored, was a veritable mountain of chocolate rice crispie cakes. I bet if you're reading this in the UK you had them too (do they have rice crispies outside the UK?). My mum used to let me "help" make them, and even back then I was happiest with a wooden spoon in my hand.



Anyway, as I do love a bit of nostalgia, here's my rice crispie cake mountain. It's only a small mountain (more of a gentle hill, really) as there are only two of us here to eat them all up. But one day in the nearish future, hopefully I'll have a little mini baker of my own I can pass the wooden spoon along to, and I'll be able to make proper rice crispie mountains just like my mum used to :)


A big HAPPY BIRTHDAY to We Should Cocoa and a huge THANK YOU to Chele and Choclette!


Oh and I've had a bit of a funny month, from technical issues to my dad being in hospital to me changing jobs and I just haven't had time to be baking, let alone photographing it and writing blog posts, but now things have thankfully settled down so I should be back into the swing of things. And I'm still wading through weeks worth of emails so if you've sent one and I haven't replied, sorry but I will!



6 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Sorry to hear about your Dad, hope he's ok.

    Rice Krispie cakes bring me right back to childhood birthday parties. A party wasn't complete without them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Was wondering what had happened to you. Hope all OK now. Reckon these will be the very first things to disappear at the party - I'm sure rice crispie cakes are everyone's favourite. Thanks for bringing them along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear you are a genius!!! Yes, we had the Aussie version at every birthday too but we call them Chocolate Crackles and they were a love/hate thing for me. Ours had copha in them which is a vile clear fat concoction that only I ever seemed to be able to taste ... but it never stopped me from swallowing a plate of chocolate crackles lol. So pleased you decided to bring these along to the party ;0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea for a party. Oddly enough I didn't eat one of these until around the age of 20 - OK, so I had a strange childhood. I hope everything will be a little smoother and easier for you from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back! A birthday wouldn't be complete without chocolate crispy cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh YES, of course, everyone's favourite (it is the most visited post on my blog). You cannot have a party without one of these. I hope your Dad is OK, glad things have settled down for you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...