Friday 17 June 2011

Bircher muesli - how to make a purple breakfast.

I had a wisdom tooth out on Wednesday, and this means I'm basically on a diet of mushy stuff for a few days. So far I've had rice pudding, risotto, even Slimfast. Today I wanted something different for lunch, and decided to make something I'd normally have for breakfast. This is my favourite thing to eat in the morning. It takes very little preparation (most of it you do the night before anyway, and it takes about 30 seconds), it tastes divine, fills you up for hours and hours, and it's purple. Most breakfast items tend to be brown or beige, don't they? Cereal, toast, waffles, pancakes. I like a bit of colour in the morning.



You will need:

1/2 cup of porridge oats (I know I say I hate cups, but I like them for measuring oats)
Milk
Frozen mixed berries (or fresh if you happen to have some)
Honey
Half an apple
Plain yoghurt (optional)

The night before, put the oats in a bowl and just cover them with milk. Sprinkle some frozen berries on top - say three tablespoons but it really doesn't matter. Put the bowl in the fridge and go to bed.

Next morning, the frozen berries will have defrosted overnight in the fridge. If the oats look a bit dry, add a tablespoon or two of yoghurt. Cut the apple into quarters, remove the core and grate it into the bowl. (You can just eat the other half, or save it for breakfast tomorrow.) Add a couple of tablespoons of honey and mix it all together. The berries will turn the mixture purple.



Enjoy this disgustingly healthy breakfast with a glass of juice (I'm addicted to ACE Drink from Lidl at the moment) or a mug of coffee and feel smug that your breakfast was more colourful than everyone else's.

5 comments:

  1. I need to make this! I really do. I want to like oats so much but can't bear their consistency in hot porridge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HATE porridge but I LOVE purple... what's a boy to do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It tastes nothing like porridge, and the texture is different too. Go on, try it, I bet you'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum - if ever I have muesli, I like it well soaked in yogurt. Have happy memories of Bircher muesli in Switzerland where there was always plenty of cream in it too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope your gums are feeling better now!

    I keep reading about 'overnight' porridge and thinking I must make it, have got some berries in the freezer so no excuses for this week! Love the colour, definitely good to have something visually pleasing to start the day with!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...