Sunday 6 March 2011

We Should Cocoa - lime and coconut madeleines with white chocolate

A blog I've been reading for ages called Chocolate Teapot runs a monthly blog event called We Should Cocoa, where you have to make something involving chocolate (well, duh) but also another ingredient that changes every month. Previous months have been caramel (wish I'd had my blog in time to enter that one!) and raspberries, among other things, and this month's ingredient is limes.



Well, I love limes. Love them. And even more so when they're paired with coconut, and even more than that when there's some white chocolate involved. So this was a no-brainer. I would make some white chocolate madeleines. Because madeleines are so pretty, they make just having a cup of coffee seem like a party!


My madeleine tins are from Lakeland, and they don't seem to give a very defined shape. I also have a silicone one from House of Fraser which is a much nicer shape, but the silicone just doesn't seem to give the cakes the nice colour that a metal baking tin does, so they come out looking a bit pale. I've used the Lakeland tins for these, next time I make madeleines I'll use the silicone tin to show you the difference.

Ingredients:

60g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
60g caster sugar
2 eggs
50g butter (I use salted; if you're using unsalted then add a pinch of salt in with the flour)
20g dessicated coconut (or 30g if you'd like them a bit more coconutty)
zest of 2 limes
About 25g white chocolate

Melt the butter and leave to cool a bit. Whisk the sugar, eggs and lime zest together, preferably with an electric hand whisk or mixer, until they have increased in volume, are very pale and thick and the mixture leaves a ribbon-like trail.

Sift in the flour and baking powder and fold it in gently. Then drizzle over the butter and fold that in gently too, and finally the coconut. Really try to be gentle so as not to knock the air out of the mixture. Stick the mixture in the fridge for an hour or two.



When you're ready to bake the madeleines, preheat the oven to 210ÂșC. Lightly grease a 12 hole madeleine tin. I use a low fat cooking spray. Fill each hole about two thirds full (I got 14 madeleines out of this mixture, so you might have to bake in two batches unless you've got two tins).

Bake for about ten minutes, or until they are golden and springy when you press lightly on them. They should easily fall out of the tin. Cool on a wire rack.

When cool, melt the white chocolate. BE CAREFUL, especially if you're using a microwave, because white chocolate burns really easily and burnt white chocolate is disgusting. Pour the melted chocolate into a plastic freezer bag and snip off the corner, or make a piping bag from baking parchment if you prefer, and drizzle the chocolate all over the madeleines.


Perfect with a cup of coffee! These are really best eaten on the day they're made.

I'm starting my new job tomorrow, and I can't wait! Wish me luck :)


8 comments:

  1. You and I are so similar!!! Even down to the books we have (I noticed them on your sidebar!) and the kitchen ware we buy. I only have the silicone pans from House of Fraser too and while I don;t get the colour I like I do love the shape of them. Love the combo of flavours in these babies, sound wonderful. Thanks so much for taking part with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe, spooky! Glad it's not just me who can't get the colour from the silicone tins :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love madeleines! I have the Lakeland tin too, but mine seems to be okay, even if I do have to prise them out sometimes!

    Coconut, lime and white chocolate sounds like a winning combination, they look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so great! I think coconut, lime, and white chocolate are like the unsung heroes of baking! Great pics. I just found your blog and I will DEFINITELY be back, I love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look so pretty. I really like your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Delicious sounding Madeleines, I can just imagine the taste of lime and coconut - yum. I have yet to bake a Madeleine as I have no tins. have actually been looking for silicone moulds as I prefer to cook with those. Thanks for entering We Should Cocoa and hope your first week went well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These sound lovely and I really do need to get a madeleine tin....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with your new job - how did it go? These look amazing. Cant wait to see what you come up with next.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...